Questions raised about al-Bashir's travel arrangements
Questions are raised as to which security agencies prepared for Omar al-Bashir's hasty and secret exit.
JOHANNESBURG - Government security agencies are reported to have received instructions to prepare for the possible arrest of Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir after the High Court in Pretoria ordered he should not be allowed to leave the country.
Al-Bashir took off from the Waterkloof Air Force base on Monday morning, just hours before the High Court in Pretoria ruled that he be handed over to the International Criminal Court (ICC), where he's wanted on charges including war crimes and genocide.
The City Press newspaper says questions have now been raised as to which security agencies took over al-Bashir's travel arrangements and prepared for his hasty and secret exit out of the country.
The Sudanese president left South Africa on Monday escorted by the police from the African Union summit in Sandton.
Former Constitutional Court Justice Richard Golstone has told the newspaper that the country should rather be putting its resources towards the victims of mass murder and rape rather than being concerned with granting immunity to heads of state.
He says South Africa should work to make the ICC more inclusive of countries which are not members.
Earlier this week, the African National Congress took a decision at a special executive committee meeting to ask the government to suspend its membership of the international court.
In a statement following the NEC meeting, the party said the ICC had gradually diverted from its mandate and allowed itself to be influenced by powerful non-member states.
LISTEN: Omar al-Bashir saga: 'SA only has itself to blame'