Sibiya and police bosses reach ‘interim agreement’

Gauteng Hawks head Shadrack Sibiya will only return to work after his hearing.

FILE: Gauteng Hawks boss Shadrack Sibiya and his legal team at his disciplinary hearing which started in Pretoria on 10 June 2015. Picrure: Reinart Toerien/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - It emerged that Gauteng Hawks head Shadrack Sibiya and police bosses reached an agreement that he wouldn't return to work until his disciplinary hearing had been finalised.

The major general's defence team closed its case at the hearing in Pretoria on Friday.

Sibiya is accused of planning and carrying out the operation which led to the arrest and rendition of five Zimbabwean suspects in 2010.

His attorney, Victor Nkhwashu, said the Supreme Court of Appeal upheld the ruling that his client's suspension was unlawful and invalid.

But he said Sibiya and his employer had reached an interim agreement.

"We would not want to cause any antagonism while he's still going through the hearing and be at his office. In the meantime, until the hearing is concluded, we would like to see through the outcome of the hearing."

A ruling on Sibiya's disciplinary hearing is expected in mid-July.