More calls for Curro to be shut down amidst racism scandal
Black parents have at the same time come forward to defend the Roodeplaat school.
JOHANNESBURG - There are more calls this afternoon for one of the Curro Primary Schools to be shut down following another scandal over racism, but also reports of black parents coming forward to defend the institution.
Yesterday Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi visited the Roodeplaat school and said he was disgusted to see a video of a field trip that had taken place earlier this month.
The video shows teachers organising groups of pupils as they climb of two buses, escorting the white children in one direction and the black pupils in another.
The school claims this was done because children are separated into English and Afrikaans speaking classes.
The Anc youth league in Tshwane is the latest organisation to vent its anger at the video, calling for the school's license to be taken away.
Late last night, the Ahmed Kathrada Foundation said language should not be used as an excuse to separate children.
But there are also reports that quote two unnamed black parents at the Roodeplaat school saying there is no racism there, and the complaints were sparked by an internal feud.
Meanwhile, Lesufi is due to meet with Curro management on Monday.
An investigation he commissioned earlier this year found that children at the school were separated into classrooms based on race - and that the school had given into pressure from white parents.