Strand triple murder: Suspects to appear in court
A group of five men were after police received a tip-off from Lwandle residents.
CAPE TOWN - Five men accused of assaulting and necklacing suspected robbers at a Strand informal settlement are due appear at the Strand Magistrates Court on murder charges this morning.
The group was arrested on Tuesday after police received a tip-off from Lwandle residents.
Locals apparently pointed them out to police.
It's alleged they were part of a mob that attacked and set alight three young men suspected of robbery.
Police said the men are aged between 22 and 38 years old.
They were allegedly involved when three suspected robbers died after being attacked and set alight in Freedom Park over the weekend.
Authorities said this proves there is a committed relationship between police and locals and have urged residents to come forward with more information.
The police's Frederick van Wyk said they're grateful to the community for their help.
"The arrests are a clear indication that there is trust between the police and the community. Police would like to thank the community for the information they provided that led to the arrest of these suspects. We further discourage the nature of these acts in our communities."
Shortly after the bodies were found, authorities said one of the bodies had a concrete block placed over it.
Nomzamo community leader Mandla Moyakhe said he woke up early Sunday morning to screams from residents from a neighbouring informal settlement.
He said upon his investigation, he was told the men who had been accused of robbery had been rounded up by angry community members.