Valcke confused about uproar over $10m donation

The Fifa official says the $10 million donation has been accounted for.

FILE: Jerome Valcke at a press conference after a meeting of the organisation's executive committee in September 2014. Picture: AFP.

JOHANNESBURG Fifa secretary general Jerome Valcke says he doesn't understand why there is an uproar about a $10 million donation that has been accounted for.

The FBI is investigating bribery and corruption at Fifa, including scrutiny of how football's governing body awarded World Cup hosting rights to Russia, which won the bidding for 2018, and Qatar, which is due to host the finals in 2022.

The extent of the turmoil engulfing Fifa was apparent in an emotional outburst by the usually composed Valcke, who said he was being destroyed by the media in his native France and gave a theatrical defence of his decision to sign off on a $10 million payment at the centre of the US bribery investigation.

Valcke held a briefing in Russia on Wednesday, where he tried to clarify Fifa's involvement in the transfer of the $10 million to accounts controlled by former Concacaf boss Jack Warner, and reiterated that everything was above board.

The general secretary also backed up claims by South African Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula last week that the donation was for the development of football in the Caribbean.

Valcke says the details of the donation and its purpose are public knowledge.

Im amazed that people are jumping on this today when it was so public from the minute Thabo Mbeki first spoke about the $10 million to the audited accounts of the 2010 Fifa World Cup which were published a long time ago.

FIFA SHELVES BIDDING FOR 2026 WORLD CUP, SEEKS BLATTER REPLACEMENT

The scandal-plagued Fifa has postponed the bidding for the right to host the 2026 World Cup on Wednesday and embarked on the search to find a replacement for outgoing President Sepp Blatter.

Fifas secretary general said that it would be nonsense to start the bidding process for the tournament for the time being.

Meanwhile, Fifa said its executive committee would hold an extraordinary meeting in July to discuss various dates and options for the congress which will elect Blatter's replacement.

Waving his pen in front of journalists, a visibly impatient Valcke asked: You want me to take this pen and to hit my head and say 'Hey! I have been stupid, I should have asked many more questions?'

You have decided that after Blatter I have to be next head to be cut? Valcke said at a news conference in the Russian city of Samara, one of the 2018 host venues.

Blatter tendered his resignation on 2 June, four days after having been re-elected for a fifth term.

He wants to remain in office until his successor is elected in order to carry out reforms at Fifa. But there have been widespread calls for him to step down at once given the gravity of the crisis facing the 111-year-old organisation.

His announcement came less than a week after Swiss police staged a dawn raid on a luxury hotel in Zurich and arrested several officials on corruption charges filed by US prosecutors in New York.

On the 2026 World Cup, Valcke said: Due to the situation, I think its nonsense to start any bidding process for the time being. It will be postponed.

The decision on which country will host the 2026 finals had been due to be made in Kuala Lumpur in 2017.

Additional reporting by Reuters.