Bredasdorp murder: Accused to remain behind bars

27-year-old Gift Sabango on Monday abandoned his bail application.

FILE: The street where 14-year-old Elna Japhta's body was found in Bredasdorp. Picture: Masa Kekana/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The man accused of murdering a Bredasdorp 15-year-old Elna Japhta will remain behind bars until his next court appearance in August.

Gift Sabango (27) on Monday abandoned his bail application.

The girl's body was found wrapped in a blanket hidden under his bed in the Zwelitsha informal settlement more than a week ago.

At the same time, he requested to be placed in a separate single cell at the Buffeljagsrivier Correctional Services facility.

Prosecutor Felicity Treu said warders at the facility had confirmed some inmates from Bredasdorp had threatened Sabango but despite this, his request was denied.

It's understood the threats came from prisoners from Bredasdorp.

Treu said the accused's request to be held separately for his own safety was denied.

RESIDENTS DESPONDENT AFTER MURDER

The Bredasdorp Community Policing Forum (CPF) said residents are despondent following Japhta's death.

The CPF's Michael Olivier asked, "Who is next? First it was Anene Booysen, who is next? This is the concern of the community."

At the same time, a Bredasdorp resident said she's worried about her own children's safety following the murder.

Community member Minnie Jantjies said she's in shock.

"The community feels very sad and we think it's one of the most disgusting incidents that could have happened."

Earlier this year, Kayde Williams was raped and murdered in Bredasdorp, her body was found on a field shortly after she went missing.

This came after the brutal sexual assault and killing of 17-year-old Booysen in 2013.