Details of Chuck Blazer's 2010 World Cup bribery admission revealed
Chuck Blazer admitted that he and other Fifa members accepted bribes over the 2010 World Cup in SA.
JOHANNESBURG - Former Fifa official Chuck Blazer has admitted that he and other Fifa members accepted bribes over the 1998 World Cup in France and the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
Blazer's guilty plea is detailed in papers from a 2013 court hearing. The transcriptions have been unsealed.
During the hearing Blazer admits he started taking bribes and kickbacks in 1993 running "through the early 2000s".
He also strongly suggests systemic bribery and corruption.
"Among other things, my actions described above had common participants & results."
Earlier on Wednesday, Fifa Secretary General Jerome Valcke said he was not guilty of any corrupt practise in a US$10 million bank transaction under investigation by US authorities and saw no reason to stand down.
"I have no reason to say that I shouldn't remain secretary general regarding what's happened in the last days, because I have no responsibility," he told France Info radio.
"I'm beyond reproach and I certainly don't feel guilty. So I don't even have to justify that I'm innocent," he added.
Qatar, which won the bid to host the 2022 tournament, is the latest country to react amid the investigations probing alleged corruption around the awarding of world cups.
Qatar's foreign minister said there is no way the country would be stripped of hosting the showpiece as it deserved to win and had the best bid.