WATCH LIVE: Cyril Ramaphosa e-toll announcement
The deputy president is explaining a new dispensation related to the Gauteng e-toll system.
CAPE TOWN - Deputy President Cyril Ramaphosa is this afternoon announcing a new dispensation on the controversial Gauteng e-toll system.
He is set to explain what the future holds for Gauteng motorists, with speculation rife that further discounts will be offered.
The announcement follows a review process initiated by Gauteng Premier David Makhura.
Figures released in Parliament on Tuesday painted a bleak picture of the multi-billion rand system being rejected by motorists.
The collection of revenue has steadily dropped while the number of e-tags being registered each month has plummeted from a peak of 350,000 in late 2013 to just 20,000 in April 2015.
The system was launched in December 2013 even after outcry from the public, opposition parties and the business sector.
E-TOLL REVIEW PANEL
In response to the public outcry, the Gauteng government appointed a panel last year to assess the socio-economic impact the multi-billion rand project had on motorists and businesses.
Makhura appointed panel members and outlined the terms of reference.
The panel worked with national government, municipalities and stakeholders to find a solution regarding the payment of tolls.
The e-tolls panel found the Gauteng tolling system was too expensive.
In March, the premier said he would not back a referendum on e-tolls.
He said the provincial government would instead support the findings and recommendations made by the e-tolls advisory panel.
Makhura pleaded with Members of the Provincial Legislature to respect the intergovernmental process led by Ramaphosa.