Former Eskom CEO ‘not ready’ to talk yet

On Monday Eskom announced Tshediso Matona would be leaving the power utility.

FILE: Tshediso Matona. Picture: Reinart Toerein/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Former Eskom CEO Tshediso Matona says he is not yet ready to speak out about his departure.

The utility released a statement on Monday night saying the board and Matona had agreed that it was in the best interests of the company for them to part ways.

Matona was suspended earlier this year, following the launch of an independent inquiry into Eskom.

He has told Eyewitness News he's not prepared to talk about his departure now, and has referred to Eskom's statement.

Eskom maintains that the agreement for Matona to part ways with the company was amicable.

Questions have, however, been raised about whether or not Matona was pushed out, especially since he had taken Eskom to the CCMA following his suspension.

The utility's Khulu Phasiwe says it's unclear at this stage if acting CEO Brian Molefe's position will be made permanent.

"The decision on the future of Mr Molefe will be taken by the Minister of Public Enterprises and the board of Eskom."

The investigation into the other three suspended executives will continue.