Two suspects in Emmanuel Josias murder case denied bail
The case has been postponed to 27 May and the accused will remain in custody.
JOHANNESBURG - Two suspects accused of killing Emmanuel Josias have been denied bail in the Alexandra Magistrates Court today.
Sizwe Mngomezulu and Sifundo Mzimela will remain in police custody after their bail was denied.
Josias was stabbed to death during xenophobic clashes between locals and foreigners in Alexandra.
The National Prosecuting Authority's Velekhaya Mgobhozi says the two will be back in the Alexandra Magistrates Court next week.
"Bail has been denied today in court for the fourth and second applicants, accused are in custody for the conclusion until 27 May."
Another accused in this matter is still behind bars.
Charges against a fourth person, a 17-year-old boy, were withdrawn last week.
Photographs of Josias being attacked while pleading for his life were published in the Sunday Times and sparked a nationwide reaction.
The photographer who captured Josias's images, James Oatway, said he was alerted to the commotion by some screaming, and rushed over to document what was going on.
Stalked, stabbed, killed in Alexandra for being from Mozambique. RIP Emmanuel Sithole. Xenophobic South Africa I cry. pic.twitter.com/2XPRsKXfeU
- Ulrich J van Vuuren (@UlrichJvV) April 19, 2015
He said the stabbing now feels surreal, like he watched it on television.
Oatway said they rushed Josias to hospital and at first didn't think he was in mortal danger.
"He was still very conscious. I tried speaking to him a bit but I couldn't really understand what he was saying. I really didn't think that he was going to die because he still had a lot of energy."
He said he believes he did exactly what a photo-journalist is supposed to, and his only regret is the time lost at the first clinic, which was unable to help Josias.
JOSIAS'S FAMILY LASHES OUT AT ZUMA
The slain man's family lashed out at President Jacob Zuma and said his comments that Josias used a false name were completely untrue.
The family moved to clarify that Josias was his second name. Josias's family explained that in their culture, children are identified by the first name of their father.
Zuma said the 25-year-old had used a false name to avoid detection because he was in the country illegally.
His cousin, Thando Sithole, said she was disappointed in Zuma.
"It's Emmanuel Josias Sithole. The thing is my brother was killed and Jacob Zuma was supposed to focus on getting those people to jail."