Cuburne van Wyk murder accused to give his version of events

Nathaniel Katlego Mpoku is on trial for the 2014 murder of three-year-old Cuburne van Wyk.

FILE. Cuburn van Wyk’s grandmother, Daphany Fredericks and the boy’s mother Lezell van Wyk outside court. Picture: Thando Kubheka/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - The man accused of kidnapping and killing three-year-old Cuburne van Wyk is expected to give his version of events on the day the child went missing in Reiger Park.

Van Wyk's burnt body was found at a dumping site in Reiger Park last year.

Nathaniel Katlego Mpoku told the High Court sitting in Palm Ridge on Thursday that he hardly spoke to the little boy, who followed him because he wanted biscuits.

But the child's aunt, Leanne Phillips, said Mpoku is lying.

"The wishes that are in our hearts for the sentence of [Mpoku] is one that God must give to him. We are not cross with him; we are not cross with his family. But what he did to us was very painful."

The defence also tried to have the case struck off the roll, but failed to do so.

Van Wyk's mother will not be in court, as the family has said she is too emotional.