Cuburne van Wyk's murder accused takes the stand

Nathaniel Katlego Mpoku is facing charges of kidnapping and murder.

FILE: Curburne van Wyk went missing last week in Reiger Park. Picture: Supplied.

JOHANENSBURG - The man accused of killing four-year-old Cuburne van Wyk by setting him alight took the stand in the High Court sitting in Palm Ridge testifying in his own defence on Thursday.

Nathaniel Katlego Mpoku is accused of killing the four-year-old in Reiger Park last August and the child's burnt body was discovered at a dumpsite.

He is facing charges of kidnapping and murder.

Mpoku told the court that it was the little boy who kept on following him.

He said the child begged him for biscuits but said he hardly spoke to him and chased him away.

The murder accused claimed he'd done nothing wrong, painting a picture of a responsible car guard who chased van Wyk away after giving him biscuits.

Van Wyk's two aunts were in court and left the court when Mpoku revealed details of the last moments before the child disappeared.

Judge George Maluleke refused the defence action Section 174 application, asking for the accused to be discharged on the grounds that it failed to place Mpoku on the crime scene.

The state submitted evidence showing that eyewitnesses saw Mpoku with van Wyk shortly before he was murdered.

Mpoku is now on the stand testify that he saw the young boy with a group of older school children the day he disappeared.

He is expected to be back on the stand tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the judge says there is "direct evidence" which places the accused on the crime scene.

He says an eyewitness claim the last person who saw van Wyk with before his death was Mpoku.

The court has also heard that the investigation team tried to link the murder of van Wyk with a similar murder case involving a 10-year-old boy in 2013.

The boy was also lured by his attacker with sweets, and his body was discovered burnt in the same area where van Wyk was killed.