Cops investigate how man was released after allegedly raping girl (11)

The suspect was allegedly released five days after being arrested, without an explanation from police.

FILE. A suspect, accused of raping an 11-year-old girl was allegedly released five days after being arrested, without an explanation from police. Picture: Mia Spies/EWN

JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng police said they're investigating how a man accused of raping an 11-year-old girl in Northern-Johannesburg was released from custody.

Eyewitness News revealed this morning how a family is outraged after the suspect was set free with no explanation from authorities.

Police have confirmed the suspect was arrested late last month, and released five days later.

It's alleged the man attacked the young girl at his house, which is also a daycare centre.

The police's Katlego Mogale said, "A case of rape is being investigated by the South African Police Service and at this stage, we're trying to ascertain as to what transpired that the said suspect is allegedly free."

WATCH: The family of an 11-year-old alleged rape victim say police let them down after the docket 'went missing'.

The family claim that on the 11-year-old's birthday last month, the suspect allegedly asked her mother if the girl could come over to his house, where he runs a daycare, to play with his own children.

The girl's mother, who cannot be named to protect her daughter's identity, broke down as she described to EWN what she believed had transpired.

"He had some ropes with him and he tied her hands, legs and pulled her dress down."

The girl's father is demanding answers from police.

"They said the case has been placed. He didn't explain to me why the case has been placed."

He said he was pushed from pillar to post as he tried to have the suspect arrested in the first place, and claimed he received little help from officers.

"I feel like we've been let down by the police service."

The child's family said the suspect lives in the same neighbourhood and they fear he may return to hurt her.

Police confirmed the man was arrested and appeared in court, but said they're still investigating why he was then released.


Last week, EWN revealed how a man, who allegedly raped a nine-year-old Kagiso girl for several years, was also released from custody and allowed to return to that community.

The family claimed the attack happened at the suspect's home last month.

WATCH: A Kagiso mother tells EWN of her pain after learning that her husband had been raping her daughter for more than four years.