Parliamentary committee to investigate xenophobia
The National Assembly will set up a multi-party committee to look into recent attacks.
CAPE TOWN - The recent outbreak of xenophobic violence in Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal and other areas has come under the spotlight in Parliament.
The National Assembly resolved to set up a multi-party committee to investigate the attacks, in which seven people, three of them South Africans, lost their lives and shops were looted.
The committee will be made up of members of both the National Assembly and the National Council of Provinces (NCOP).
African National Congress (ANC) deputy chief whip Doris Dlakude made the proposal during the National Assembly's plenary sitting today.
"Subject to the concurrence of the NCOP we will establish an ad hoc joint committee to inquire into the incidents of violence against foreign nationals."
The committee will be made up of National Assembly Members of Parliament (MPs) and members of the NCOP and all parties will be represented.
Part of its job will be to look at the report and recommendations of a previous Parliamentary task team that investigated after the surge of xenophobic violence in 2008.
The committee's deadline to report back is the 30 August.
KZN AUTHORITIES RETURN FOREIGNERS HOME
Meanwhile, in KwaZulu-Natal, authorities said they have managed to return most foreigners affected by the xenophobic violence to their homes.
Community Safety MEC Willies Mchunu said four of the five displacement centres have now been shut down.
A total of 8,000 foreigners sought refuge during the sporadic attacks in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng.
Mchunu said most foreigners had either returned to their countries of origin or reintegrated into their communities.
On Sunday, 500 remaining foreigners were relocated to the Chatsworth Shelter.
The MEC said there had been no reports of violence from those who had returned to their communities.
"All those issues within communities have been settled."