Zim woman's horrific death blamed on xenophobia
A Zimbabwean family claims a relative was killed and decapitated in the recent wave of xenophobic attacks.
HARARE - A Zimbabwean family is claiming a relative was killed and decapitated in the recent wave of xenophobic attacks in South Africa.
Over the past few weeks authorities have been battling sporadic attacks on foreign nationals in Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal.
Seven people, including a 14-year-old South African boy, have been killed in the latest flare up of xenophobic violence.
The family in Harare say that 41-year-old Naume Garusa had been living and working legally in South Africa for 13 years.
Her body is expected back in Harare tomorrow.
Family members told the state-run _Herald _newspaper that they think she was killed and decapitated in a xenophobic attack near Houghton as she returned home from work last week.
Police in Gauteng have confirmed they found the body of the Zimbabwean woman dumped in Killarney on Tuesday, but a spokesperson says police don't think the murder was related to the xenophobic violence.
Zimbabwe's ambassador to South Africa Isaac Moyo has told official media that the body of a Zimbabwean man, killed in the Durban attacks, is due to be sent home soon.
LISTEN: Police minister on efforts to stop the violence.
MAN PHOTOGRAPHED STABBING EMMANUEL SITHOLE ARRESTED
Police earlier confirmed to Eyewitness News that the man photographed stabbing Mozambican national Emmanuel Sithole is among those arrested last night.
Photographs of Sithole being attacked while pleading for his life were published in The Sunday Times yesterday, and sparked a nationwide reaction.
It's understood the Mozambican was selling cigarettes on the side of a road when he was confronted by four men.
An argument ensued when the group took the goods without paying.
Authorities on Sunday offered a reward of up to R100,000 for information related to his murder.
WATCH: Foreign nationals fear more attacks may occur.