Lesufi closes Roodepoort Primary School indefinitely
The department says it will escalate the matter to the High Court in Johannesburg to obtain an interdict.
JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi on Friday announced Roodepoort Primary School would be closed indefinitely due to ongoing disruptions at the school.
The department said it would escalate the matter to the High Court in Johannesburg to obtain an interdict preventing the community from interfering with classes.
There had been disruptions at the school since February, when parents accused the principal and her deputies of racism and corruption.
After an investigation, all three were cleared of any wrongdoing by the MEC this week.
The Gauteng education department's Phumla Sekhonyane said the disruptions by the community were criminal.
"At the last meeting we handed them our report and we gave it to them to go and consider and come to make representation to us. Instead what we get is them going to the school and locking the gates. Our view is that this is pure criminality, we'll not stand for that and to use the MECs exact words 'this is provocation beyond endurance'."
On Wednesday, Lesufi urged parents and teachers at the school to work together for the sake of their children's education.
He urged them to work towards a peaceful environment that will be conducive for learning.
"There is no need for people to shout at each other and point fingers at each other. We need to work together to ensure that there is quality education."
Lesufi dissolved the school's governing body, saying it was not functioning.
The parents of the children at the school have welcomed the outcome of the investigation into mismanagement at the school.
The department said alternative arrangements were being made for affected pupils.