Champions League: Barca win in Paris while Porto stun Bayern

Barca beat PSG 3-1 while Bayern were taught a 3-1 footballing lesson by Porto.

Luis Suarez and Neymar celebrate beating PSG in their first leg quarterfinal Champions League match in Paris on 15 April 2015. Picture: FCB FB.

PARIS/PORTO - Barcelona took a big step towards the Champions League semifinals on Wednesday as a goal from Neymar and a Luis Suarez double ended Paris St Germain's 33-game unbeaten home run in Europe with a 3-1 win at the Parc des Princes.

PSG, who were without Zlatan Ibrahimovic, suspended for one game after picking up a red card in the last-16 second leg at Chelsea, fell behind when Neymar netted from close range at the end of a quick counter attack in the 18th minute.

Suarez doubled the tally in the 67th after slaloming through the PSG defence, who lost captain Thiago Silva to a possible hamstring injury after 21 minutes, and wrapped it up 11 minutes from time with a curling shot into the top corner.

The hosts reduced the deficit in the 82nd minute when Jeremy Mathieu deflected Gregory van der Wiel's shot into his own goal as PSG suffered their first loss at home in Europe since 2006 ahead of the return leg at the Nou Camp next Tuesday.

In the 79th minute, Suarez ran unchallenged through the middle and curled a shot into the top corner, only for Van der Wiel to reduce the arrears three minutes later when his low shot was deflected into the net by Mathieu.


Ricardo Quaresma's two early goals and a second-half strike from Jackson Martinez helped a slick Porto complete a stunning 3-1 home victory over a sloppy Bayern Munich.

The Portuguese side exploded into action with two goals in the opening 10 minutes, with Quaresma converting from the penalty spot and finishing neatly as Bayern's sluggish defending was punished.

Five-times champions Bayern, decimated by injuries, clawed their way back into the tie when midfielder Thiago Alcantara steered home at the far post after 28 minutes.

But Martinez pounced on an error by Jerome Boateng after 65 minutes and rounded Bayern keeper Manuel Neuer to re-establish Porto's two-goal advantage heading into the return leg on 21 April.

But the Germans clawed a goal back on 28 minutes when Boateng's low cross from the right escaped both Danilo and Bruno Martins Indi to reach Alcantara, who slotted home coolly past Porto keeper Fabiano.

An increasingly fraught second half was littered with yellow cards and bookings for Porto's first-choice full backs Danilo and Alex Sandro ruled them out of the second leg in Munich.