SABC apologises for Eben Jansen’s behaviour

During the interview on live television, Jansen refused to let the EFF's Mbuyiseni Ndlozi speak.

A screengrab of SABC's Eben Jansen interviewing Economic Freedom Fighters spokesperson, Mbuyiseni ndlozi, on 'Newsroom' on 9 April 2015.

JOHANNESBURG - The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) on Wednesday apologised to Economic Freedom Fighters' (EFF) spokesperson Mbuyiseni Ndlozi for the way he was treated during a live television interview with presenter Eben Jansen.

During the interview Jansen refused to let Ndlozi speak and claimed that he had been stealing a protest action from students who wanted to remove the statue of Cecil John Rhodes from the University of Cape Town.

Jansen ended the interview by claiming that he couldn't continue with Ndlozi because it was impossible to have a conversation with him.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said they didn't condone Jansen's behaviour.

"The presenter, Mr Jansen, and his behaviour is not something that we condone as the organisation. That is why we are apologising unreservedly to him and to his organisation, the EFF."

WATCH: Eben Jansen's interview with Mbuyiseni Ndlozi turns sour (19 minutes into the show).

On Monday, the Broadcasting Complaints Commission of South Africa (BCCSA) confirmed it received a complaint against Jansen for the way in which he conducted the interview.

Jansen was taken off air pending an investigation into his handling of the interview with Ndlozi last week.

The BCCSA said it received the complaint about Jansen's "appalling conduct" after the interview aired last week and said it would investigate as soon as the SABC was able to provide information and respond to the complaint.

Meanwhile, the SABC is probing Jansen's conduct.

The presenter received a massive backlash on social media after the interview aired, with many commentators describing his behaviour as "unprofessional".