Boko Haram's reign of terror continues
A human rights organisation said 2,000 girls had been abducted since the beginning of 2014.
JOHANNESBURG - As the worldwide 'Bring Back Our Girls' campaign marks one year since the abduction of school girls in Chibok, Amnesty International on Tuesday said at least 2,000 girls had been abducted by Boko Haram in Nigeria since the beginning of 2014.
The human rights organisation said some pupils, who have since escaped the terrorist group, have told researchers that most girls were forced to marry militants or become sex slaves.
At least 219 girls were still missing and the campaign was putting pressure on the Nigerian government to do more to find and free them.
Amnesty International's Nigerian researcher Daniel Eyre said, "The campaign did great work by galvanising international response but that was one abduction and there have been a number of abductions by Boko Haram."
He said witnesses have told stories of Boko Haram's latest tactics of recruiting men to the cause, giving them the choice to fight or die.
"I spoke to man who said when his town was taken over he refused to join and he watched the group execute 27 people and he knows this number because he was counting and waiting for his turn to die."