BDS: #PharrellWithWoolies campaign must stop
The US singer-songwriter announced his collaboration with Woolworths as a style consultant.
JOHANNESBURG - Human rights and Palestine solidarity organisation, BDS South Africa, is adamant American singer-songwriter and rapper Pharrell Williams should stop his partnership with Woolworths until the retailer stops importing products from Israel.
The organisation also called on people in the entertainment industry to take a stand.
Yesterday, Williams announced his collaboration with Woolworths as a style consultant.
- Pharrell Williams (@Pharrell) April 9, 2015
BDS spokesperson Kwara Kekana says, "It is very necessary that people in the entertainment industry in particular start to discuss the issue of human rights. There are a lot of celebrities coming out on the issue of Palestine, lending their own voices to this cause as well."
On social media, some South Africans expressed excitement at the new campaign, saying Williams is a true inspiration to South Africa.
- Pearl Boltman (@pearlboltman) April 10, 2015
It is a true inspiration to see top American artists reaching out to help our country great work guyz #pharrellwithwoolies xxxx
- Jethro's no1Fan♥♥♥♥♥ (@ayoh_mi) April 10, 2015
- Natasha Silva (@TashSilva) April 10, 2015
- Marlow Straub (@marlow_straub) April 10, 2015
- Thabo Ramushu (@Chebo88) April 10, 2015
BDS people wasting no time lol #PharrellWithWoolies
- زينب (@zeynib) April 9, 2015
But there was also some negative reaction.
- KwaraKekana (@KwaraKekana) April 9, 2015