Palestinian solidarity group un-Happy about Pharrell-Woolies colab
Boycott Divestment and Sanctions called on Pharrell Williams to cancel his collaboration with Woolworths.
JOHANNESBURG - Palestinian solidarity organisation Boycott Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) on Thursday called on American singer-songwriter Pharrell Williams to cancel his collaboration with high-end retailer Woolworths.
Spokesperson Kwara Kekana said, "We are going to go ahead and write a letter to him and his people, and issue an appeal to him. We are really hoping that once we have issued the call, we are hoping for a positive response, but as to how things will follow beyond that, we can't say for sure."
Earlier, the artist announced on Twitter that he would be working with the retailer and asked his South African followers how they felt about the decision.
- Pharrell Williams (@Pharrell) April 9, 2015
But some social media users responded saying he shouldn't align himself with a company that supports Israel:
- KwaraKekana (@KwaraKekana) April 9, 2015
- Mthunzi (@mthunzi_mbuli1) April 9, 2015
- NC4P (@NC4P_) April 9, 2015
At the same time, fans of both Woolworths and Pharrell seemed excited about the collaboration:
- Modupe Oloruntoba (@CityHabit) April 9, 2015
- Henry Dube (@HenryDube72) April 9, 2015
- Naimah Allie (@Naimah_Allie) April 9, 2015
- ♥☺Amanda (@mizz_anthony06) April 9, 2015
- MUSIC (@lindiwesuttle) April 9, 2015
- Charlene M. (@FatandFond) April 9, 2015
Last year BDS launched its campaign calling for a complete boycott of Woolworths products until the company stops trading with Israel.