Louca will remain at Kgosi Mampuru II prison hospital

Murder accused George Louca was diagnosed with stage four lung cancer earlier this year.

FILE: George Louca. Picture: Gia Nicolaides/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - Eyewitness News on Tuesday learnt that murder accused George Louca would remain at the Kgosi Mampuru II prison (formerly known as the Pretoria Central Prison) hospital, while Correctional Services prepared to go to court over his treatment.

Louca, who was extradited to South Africa a year ago, is standing trial for the murder of strip club boss Lolly Jackson in 2010.

As a stage four lung cancer patient, Louca's legal team claimed he was denied treatment from the Steve Biko Academic Hospital.

His lawyer Owen Bloomberg said while his client urgently needed better health care, they could now only wait for the court to decide his fate.

Last year, the South African government spent a large amount of money to extradite Louca in order for him to stand trial and give evidence on Jackson's murder.

He has since stated that Czech fugitive Radovan Krejcir killed Jackson.

The Department of Justice and Correctional Services said the National Prosecuting Authority's input was crucial as Louca was still facing a murder trial.

Meanwhile, Correctional Services on Tuesday said it would approach the High Court to ask a judge to decide whether Louca should be released on medical grounds.

The department's Mthunzi Mhaga said the fact that Louca was a foreign national with a pending murder case against him would make it a difficult decision.

"In terms of the relevant section, as Correctional Services we are obliged to present facts that relate to his medical condition to the court, for alternative place, but that is a decision that the court will have to take."

Bloomberg said his client wanted to spend his last days at home with his family in Cyprus.

"I am hoping that this application will in fact allow my client to be released to go back to his family, to comfortably be cared for among his friends and family."

Earlier, Bloomberg said Louca's health had deteriorated drastically and that he was considering going to court to force prison authorities to move him to another hospital, insisting he needed oxygen every 15 minutes.

"He needs to be kept alive for as long as possible. I don't want to see them pull the plug on him."

Louca's legal team said it would be extremely unfair if the South African government refused to give him the medical care he desperately needed.