‘The Easter weekend death toll is disappointing’
29 people died in the Western Cape since Friday, up from 27 over the same period last year.
CAPE TOWN - Western Cape Transport on Tuesday said the Easter weekend death toll was disappointing.
Twenty-nine people died on the province's roads since last Friday.
This is up from 27 over the same period last year.
Provincial Transport MEC Donald Grant said more needed to be done to educate motorists about road safety.
"Most of the accidents seem to have happened in the peri-urban areas and particularly in the metro with pedestrians. And that is something we need to talk to the city about, and to amend our own operations accordingly."
By Sunday, 17 people had been killed on the roads in the Western Cape since the start of the long weekend.
Provincial Traffic Chief Kenny Africa said drunk and fatigued drivers remained among the biggest traffic offenders.