Mystery surrounds JHB top cop murder
David Hlanganani Makhubela was stabbed to death on Friday night in Turffontein, south of Johannesburg.
JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng police on Mondays said they wouldn't be drawn on claims made by the South African Policing Union (Sapu) that there may have been be foul play in the murder of public order policing head Colonel David Hlanganani Makhubela.
He was stabbed to death on Friday night in Turffontein, south of Johannesburg.
His body was discovered by passers-by who then alerted police.
The officer had previously provided a statement to the Farlam Commission of Inquiry, investigating the deaths of 44 people in strike-related violence at Lonmin platinum operations in the North West.
The police's Noxolo Kweza said Sapu should not be "meddling in police investigations".
She added police would comment further on the matter in due course.
"When we feel that we are ready and there is something else that we want to bring forward we will do that."
Sapu general secretary Oscar Skommere said Makhubela's firearm and his wallet were still on him and this raised questions.
"The firearm and some of the cash and the groceries and all those things were not taken away so you start wondering and asking questions like, what is the motive of this killing?"
COPS DENY MAKING ARRESTS IN N3 SHOOTOUT
Meanwhile, Gauteng police have denied media reports that an arrest has been made in connection with a fatal shootout on the N3 highway last week.
Constables Constables Mthokozisi Myezi and Casey Mafokoane were shot dead after stopping a vehicle near the Modderfontein off-ramp last Sunday.
Police recovered the car believed to have been hijacked by the suspects.
The police's Kweza on Monday morning told Eyewitness News reports around the arrest were false.
She declined to give further comment.
Gauteng police have however offered a reward of R400,000 for any information leading to the successful conviction of those responsible for the officers' deaths.