Marius Fransman booed by Ses'khona members

Ses’khona members jeered the ANC chairman and chased him back into the Provincial Legislature.

FILE: Ses’khona members marched for land, housing and service delivery. Picture: Siyabonga Sesant/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - Western Cape African National Congress (ANC) leader Marius Fransman was booed as he tried to address protesters at the Provincial Legislature.

Lobby group, the Ses'khona People's Rights Movement, led a demonstration in the Cape Town City centre over service delivery.

Fransman's attempt to show solidarity with the Ses'khona was stonewalled and the group booed him and chased him back into the Legislature.

Protesters armed with hammers and sticks marched at the Legislature calling for land, better housing opportunities and service delivery.

Members chanted outside the legislature in Wale Street, demanding Western Cape Premier, Helen Zille come out to explain how she failed to respond to any of their previous memorandums.

The protesters were furious when Provincial housing MEC Bonginkosi Madikizela came out to address demonstrators, when they demanded Zille.


Meanwhile, calm was restored in the Cape Town CBD following isolated incidents of violence as protesting Ses'khona members dispersed later on Thursday afternoon.

A Philippi resident said he wouldn't back down until government provided him with a home and adequate service delivery.

Elias Mountain, who lives in the Marikana Informal Settlement, joined dozens of Ses'khona members who took to the streets.

Mountain said with winter approaching, residents in informal settlements were in desperate need of safe and secure housing to protect them from the cold and rain.

"We've been sending memorandums to the premier and we haven't been getting our responses. So we decided to gather everyone here to demand answers. We are not here to deliver a memorandum, but we are here for answers."

The civil rights group said it wouldn't stop protesting against the shortfalls of the provincial government while so many poor people continued to struggle.

Dozens of South African Police Service members and the city's law enforcement officials were deployed around the CBD to keep an eye on protesting members.


St George's Mall and nearby vendors were forced to pack up and close doors amid fears of looting.

They seem relieved that the chaotic demonstration was over.

Many packed up shop ahead of the march and said they feared for their safety as the previous march turned violent.

Kennedy Mulamba from Congo, who has a bag stall on the parade, packed up his stock shortly after 10am.

Mulamba said he lost goods worth thousands of rands during a previous march headed by Ses'khona.

He said protestors trashed his stall and he wanted to avoid that happening again.