Bob Hewitt released on R10k bail
Convicted rapist, Bob Hewitt, has been released on R10,000 bail ahead of his sentencing next month.
JOHANNESBURG - Convicted rapist, Bob Hewitt, has been released on R10,000 bail ahead of his sentencing next month.
The former tennis champion was found guilty of rape and sexual assault relating to crimes he committed more than 30 years ago.
Hewitt pleaded not guilty after three women claimed he abused them while he was their coach in the 1980s and 1990s.
Ten witnesses testified last month.
The state and the defence presented closing arguments on Monday morning.
Defence lawyer Terry Price said he travelled to the Johannesburg CBD with Hewitt to secure the R10,000 cash for his bail.
Price wanted more time to prepare for sentencing, indicating he wanted to get a clinical psychologist's report; but Judge Bert Bam said he was setting the date for 17 April and during arguments the defence could try to persuade him as to why evidence from a psychologist would be relevant.
Hewitt has been restricted to staying at his home in the Eastern Cape. He may visit his daughter in Johannesburg and must be present for sentencing next month in Pretoria.
JUDGE SATISFIED WITH VICTIMS' VERSION OF EVENTS
The judge said he was satisfied that all three victims were telling the truth about their rape and sexual abuse.
Bam said the former tennis champion manipulated the young girls and "cast them under his spell" which is why they felt intimidated.
One of the victims' parents, Theresa Tolken, opened a case many years ago, but this was never pursued by the prosecution.
The judge focused a large portion of his judgment on the letter Hewitt wrote to Tolken, who was 12-years-old at the time, declaring his love for her. Listen: Former tennis player Bob Hewitt guilty of rape and indecent assault.
Listen: Former tennis player Bob Hewitt guilty of rape and indecent assault.