Century City fire allegedly sparked by car

The fire is believed to have been sparked by a car that caught alight in The Gateway building's parking lot.

The fire is believed to have been sparked by a car that caught alight in The Gateway building's parking lot. Picture: Masa Kekana/EWN

CAPE TOWN - Employees who work at a Century City building that caught alight on Wednesday have told Eyewitness News they thought it was just another fire drill when they were asked to evacuate.

The fire is believed to have been sparked by a car that caught alight in the parking lot of The Gateway building in Century City.

Firefighters and emergency services rushed to the scene to extinguish the blaze and treat those suffering from smoke inhalation.

Some people were trapped inside the building but firefighters managed to get them out.

A Century City employee Michelle Coetzee said, "Technically we couldn't use the normal fire escape that we were supposed to use because the fire was there."

An employee who works at BMW SMG next to the building says although the fire was not at the dealership, staff had to be evacuated too.

"The fire didn't come close to our side of the vehicles or on our building. However, it was only done as a precaution."

The blaze was extinguished and companies were back in business soon after.