Cape fire contained, authorities remain on high alert
While crews continue to monitor hot spots, it seems the worst fire to have hit the Cape is under control.
- Western Cape fires
- Cape Town fires
- Cape Fire Season
- Cape Town fire
- Cape Town Fire and Rescue Services
- Fire fighters
- Muizenberg fires
- Veld fire
- Western Cape veld fires
- Hout Bay fires
- Muizenberg fire
- Cape Town Fire Service
- Muizenberg veld fire
- Noordehoek fire
- Tokai fire
- Chapmans peak fire
- Lakeside fire
- Boyes Drive closed due to fire
- Hout Bay fire
- Aerial view of the Muizenberg fire
- Fire on Table Mountain
- Lakeside Fire Station
- Swaanswyk on fire
- Clovelly fire
- The City of Cape Towns Fire and Rescue Services
- Cape Towns Fire Department
CAPE TOWN - While the fires on the South Peninsula have been largely contained, authorities are not dropping their guard.
The City of Cape Town's Fire and Rescue Services' Theo Layne says crews are monitoring hot spots but adds the blaze is under control.
"During the course of the night we had a major turnaround where we now can say that the fire is under control. We still have all our resources deployed around the entire burnt area."
Image: Vumani Mkhize/EWN
The blaze broke out in the mountains above Boyes Drive in Muizenberg on Sunday and was fuelled by a south easterly wind.
It spread at a rapid pace to the Noordhoek, Tokai and Hout Bay areas.
Residents in Groot Constantia, Klein Constantia and Tokai were forced to evacuate their homes when the fire took an ugly turn in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
The entrance to the Tokai Forest was closed to all members of the public and media.
The inferno has swept across much of the South Peninsula, ravaging over 5,000 hectares of land.
Image: Aletta Gardner/EWN
Firefighters are now closely monitoring the last three active areas, where rampant blazes have not yet been extinguished around Table Mountain.
The Department of Environmental Affairs says around 2,000 people from Cape Town's Fire and Rescue, other emergency services in the city and additional deployments from other provinces have taken in the five-day operation.
Image: Aletta Gardner/EWN.
Residents who had taken refuge at a community shelter in Noordhoek have also returned to their homes.
At least 13 homes were affected, three of them completely razed to the ground.
Image: Regan Thaw/EWN
At the same time, the City of Cape Town says it's spent about R1 million a day on firefighting efforts on the Southern Peninsula.
Fire and Rescue Services, Disaster Management, Metro Police and traffic officials have all been on-duty around the clock since the weekend.
The city's Richard Bosman says the resources which have been plowed into their operations are immense.
"We're looking at an average of R1 million a day for the last couple of days. We've spent a couple of hundred thousand rands a day on helicopters, so we're looking at costs in terms of staff on duty and staff off duty, vehicle costs and that."
Image: Thomas Holder/EWN
Meanwhile, tourists from Portugal say although they understand the need for evacuations, they're disappointed because they're in Cape Town for a limited time and wanted to enjoy the attractions.
"We can't do anything especially because we've come so far but we'll have another opportunity."
A German tourist says he will be back to visit.
"We'll try this on another day."
More tourists were disappointed when they were turned away from top tourists spots as they arrived.
WATCH: Inside the flames: EWN joins the firefighters