Transport minister condemns Gauteng taxi violence
Two people were killed in Fourways and two others in Hyde Park on Thursday.
JOHANNESBURG - Transport Minister Dipuo Peters has condemned the killing of at least four people in taxi violence in Gauteng and said rival associations needed to convene an urgent meeting to iron out their differences.
Two people were killed in Fourways and two others in Hyde Park on Thursday as the taxi associations competed for access to lucrative routes.
The National Taxi Association and the South African National Taxi Association Council will meet with the MEC of transport in Gauteng this weekend.
The minister's spokesman Tiyani Rikhotso said they were hopeful that discussions between the department and the taxi associations were going to yield positive results, and see the situation return to normal.
There were more tensions between drivers operating in the Bryanston area following the murder of a taxi driver along William Nicol Drive this week.
The association condemned the violence, saying it was doing everything it could to educate taxi operators and drivers to work together without fighting.
Safety and Security MEC Sizakele Nkosi Malobane said there were around 2,000 licensed taxis operating in Johannesburg and recent violence between rival associations had been caused by illegally operating taxis.