Malamulele protesters suspend violent protests
A task team said the board gave the community until October to meet the necessary criteria.
JOHANNESBURG - Residents in Malamulele have agreed to suspend their six week shutdown to allow pupils to finally start their 2015 academic year.
A meeting was held between the Malamulele task team and the community on Monday afternoon where it was agreed to suspend the prolonged demonstration.
Residents have been demanding their own municipality, claiming the Thulamela council was not providing sufficient services.
Last month, the Municipal Demarcation Board denied the community their own council, saying the minimum requirements were not met.
Residents then went on the rampage setting fire to government property, including schools.
The task team said the board had now given the community until October to meet the necessary criteria.
Spokesperson Noel Manganyi said, "We are resubmitting our application but this time it will include some areas in Mutale and Makhado so that it may be a bigger municipality."
Earlier, the Limpopo Education Department said that matric pupils in the area would not write their supplementary exams because it could endanger their lives.
The Education Department's Paena Galane said efforts to suspend the demonstrations had failed.