Minstrels at loggerheads with CT bosses over tonight's march

The city applied for an urgent interdict against the association to prevent some troops from marching.

This comes after the city received several complaints from Bo-Kaap residents about the noise and safety concerns arising from the back marches.

CAPE TOWN - The City of Cape Town is at loggerheads with the Cape Town Carnival Minstrel Association over a court order banning certain troops to march tonight.

Earlier this week the city applied for an urgent interdict against the association to prevent illegal marching.

This comes after the city received several complaints from Bo-Kaap residents about the noise and safety concerns arising from the back marches.

The city's Zara Nicholson says the association sought to contest the order in Cape Town's High Court today.

"Today the court granted an order which would only allow the resident troops from Bo-Kaap to march tonight up until midnight, so no other troops have been permitted to march because they haven't sought a permit."

POSTPONEMENTS MAY TARNISH MINSTREL PARADE

The annual Minstrel Parade took place in the Cape Town CBD on 17 January after a few postponements.

Some supporters of the Cape Minstrel Carnival say they fear political mudslinging will tarnish the event in future.

Transport problems and political differences have been cited as some of the main problems.

One person that attended the event says shifting it should be non-negotiable.

"This is a culture that was invented at the time of the slaves. That's why I would like the expectation of the carnival should go back to the first New Year. The only time it can liaise and change is on a Friday and a Sunday but it should go back because that's the time when everybody is fresh."

WATCH: Minstrels magic hits Cape Town.