Calm restored to Soweto after unrest & looting
Residents looted foreign-owned shops across the township this week after a teenager was shot & killed.
JOHANNESBURG - As Soweto battles to recover from a week of looting and violence, calm appears to have returned to the area and politicians and community leaders have been appealing for people to stop looting.
The violence began on Monday when 14-year-old Mthetheleli Siphiwe Mahori was killed, allegedly by a foreign shop owner.
Siphiwe Mahori who was shot and killed in Snake Park, Soweto on 19 January 2015. Picture: Dineo Bendile/EWN.
So far, three people have been killed, including the teenager and more than 160 people are in police custody.
The violence also spread to other parts of Soweto and areas outside of the township.
Gauteng Premier David Makhura and Mayor Parks Tau addressed the Doornkop community, where the unrest began, on Friday.
The African National Congress (ANC)'s Gwede Mantashe was also there and called for calm.
He however says government will also look at immigration.
"[We must have] very tight immigration laws because as visitors that we must welcome [they] must also come here lawfully and be documented."
VIDEO: Soweto violence continues
Meanwhile, Winnie Madikizela-Mandela says it is senseless for locals to attack foreign businesses after claiming that they're taking the country's jobs.
VIDEO: RAW FOOTAGE: Woman run over by Soweto looters
Madikizela-Mandela visited the family of Hendrick Manye late on Friday afternoon in Swaneville.
The 61-year-old was killed in crossfire on Thursday.
Madikizela-Mandela says the rampant looting in Gauteng's townships is a direct result of unemployment in the country.
"The senseless part of it is to say they are taking jobs from our people. How?"
Manye was outside his home when residents looted a shop opposite his house.
His family members say they are deeply saddened by his sudden death.
No arrests have yet been made.