Mantashe: We are satisfied with Guptagate outcome
The air force has withdrawn charges against two senior officers involved in the scandal.
JOHANNESBURG - African National Congress (ANC) secretary-general Gwede Mantashe says he' is satisfied with the way government handled the Gupta family's use of the Waterkloof Air Force Base because processes were followed and outcomes reached.
In April 2013, Eyewitness News revealed that a jet chartered by the Gupta family carrying 270 wedding guests landed at Waterkloof Air Force Base in Pretoria.
Earlier this week the air force withdrew charges against two senior officers who were accused of arranging for the Gupta family to land their wedding guests at the base.
The decision means that only former state protocol head Bruce Koloane was disciplined for the incident, but he has since been appointed ambassador to the Netherlands.
Just after the landing at Waterkloof, Mantashe demanded that those who could not account for themselves be brought to book.
Now, he says he's satisfied with this outcome.
"In the first instance, Koloane was removed from his post, which was punishment. Whether he's given another post later means that there are people who have been found to have been involved in doing things out of the procession and that satisfies me."
On Wednesday, Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) General Secretary Zwelinzima Vavi said it was unavoidable that the finger of blame for this incident pointed to President Jacob Zuma because no other explanation was being offered.
But Mantashe says some people just obsess over Zuma.