ISS: No risk of terror attacks in South Africa
Fears are spreading following the shootings in Paris and mass killings by Boko Haram in Nigeria.
JOHANNESBURG - The Institute for Security Studies (ISS) says South Africa is not at a significant risk of terror attacks as fears start spreading in the west following the shootings in Paris and mass killings by Boko Haram in Nigeria.
In Paris, 17 people died in a series of attacks by gunmen claimed to be trained by al-Qaeda and ISIS.
Meanwhile the Nigerian government has downplayed reports that 2,000 people were killed in Baga last week, instead putting the figure at around 150.
The Institute says the public is failing at holding African governments to account to resolve terrorism on the continent.
ISS Managing Director Anton du Plessis says it's the public and media's responsibility to put African terrorism on the agenda of the world.
The Institute says the country must stay away from launching "inappropriate unlawful counter terrorism reaction" as a response to the situation in Paris and Nigeria.
CHARLIE AFTER THE ATTACK
Charlie Hebdo will publish a front page showing a caricature of the Prophet Mohammad holding a sign saying "Je suis Charlie" in its first edition since terrorists attacked the satirical newspaper.
With demand surging for the edition due on Wednesday, the weekly planned to print up to 3 million copies, dwarfing its usual run of 60,000, after newsagents reported a rush of orders.
Digital versions will be posted in English, Spanish and Arabic, while print editions in Italian and Turkish will also appear.