Boko Haram attack: 'Some people were slaughtered like insects'
Survivors of an attack by Boko Haram in Baga have described days of relentless violence.
ABUJA - Survivors of an assault by Boko Haram militants which resulted in the death of hundreds of civilians in Baga, north east Nigeria, have described days of relentless violence in which one witness claims some people were slaughtered "like insects."
Yahaya Takakumi, a 55-year-old farmer, told a local newspaper that he escaped from Baga with one of his wives and spent four days traveling to safety through the bush but does not know the whereabouts of four of his children, his second wife and his elder brother, a blacksmith in Baga.
He and other survivors fled to Maiduguri, the capital of Borno State.
Another survivor, Ibrahim Gambo, a 25-year-old truck driver, said he was part of a civilian militia that initially fought Boko Haram gunmen but was eventually overpowered after promised help from the military did not arrive.
The Nigerian Military is yet to retake Baga town as the Boko Haram militants has remained in "continuous control" of Baga since it was attacked on 3 January.
At the same time, Boko Haram has attacked a military base in Cameroon leaving one soldiers dead.
The attack occurred early Monday, about a week after Boko Haram leader, Abubakar Shekau, threatened attacks on Cameroon after the country's military launched repeated assaults against the group.
The attack was on the Kolofata army base but local media reports that the attack was repelled.
In July last year, Boko Haram militants kidnapped the wife of the country's vice prime minister and a mayor in the region.
In his latest video, Shekau warned Cameroon President Paul Biya, to suspend his country's attack on the group or face reprisal.
SA OFFERS SUPPORT
South Africa's High Commissioner to Nigeria says support has been offered to the country following the massacre.
The killings have been condemned as unacceptable by the South African government which says the African community must act in a coordinated manner.
Lulu Mnguni says authorities are willing to help the Nigerian government.
On Monday, Amnesty International said the Nigerian government's failure to prevent the massacre of people by Boko Haram has revealed its inability to protect civilians or launch any effective crackdown on the terror group.
The massacre has been condemned as unacceptable by the South African government which says the African community must act in a coordinated manner.
BOKO HARAM 'DEADLIEST' TERROR GROUP IN AFRICA
Amnesty International says Boko Haram has now become the deadliest terror group in Africa and suspicion that it is being funded by al-Shabaab and al-Qaeda should prompt an international investigation.
The group's Noel Kututwa says last year they published a report declaring Boko Haram's siege an international humanitarian crisis.
He says they've now taken the matter up with the International Criminal Court.
"Research has confirmed that there are links to al-Shabaab and consequently links to al-Qaeda as well. We believe that's where the financing is coming from. We are calling on the International Criminal Court to start an investigation because war crimes have been carried out."