Heartbreak as deadly Paris siege ends

A US terrorism investigator warns the immediate slamming of attackers will hinder the investigation.

Flowers, candles and a picture of the front page of an edition of Charlie Hebdo are layed on the pavement near the offices of French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo in Paris on 7 January, 2015, after armed gunmen stormed the offices leaving 12 dead. Picture: AFP.

JOHANNESBURG - France grappled with more heartbreak as another day of blood and horror ended with more deaths.

The search continued for the only remaining suspect in the recent attacks.

Twenty-six-year-old Hayat Boumeddiene is alleged to have been an accomplice in the hostage-taking incident at the kosher grocery store in eastern Paris yesterday afternoon.

Police killed three suspects during raids on Friday, one wanted in the fatal shooting of a policewoman and four hostages, the other two in the killings at the offices of Charlie Hebdo magazine in Paris.

Four civilians were killed by gunman Amedy Coulibaly in the hostage standoff before police stormed the market.

Two police officers were also wounded in the raid.

Picture: The screengrab from a video posted online shows armed men approaching a man who was shot moments before on a Paris street near the Charlie Hedbo offices on 7 January 2015. Seconds later the gun men shoots the victim a second time.

The attack at the Paris office of the satirical magazine left 12 dead on Wednesday.

The other pair of suspects, brothers Cherif and Said Kouachi were killed in a police operation.

The suspects in the satirical magazine tragedy had been cornered at a printing business in the town for most of yesterday.

"The nation is relieved tonight," Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said.

But the French government's work is not over.

There's still a lot of healing to do, a lot of questions to answer on preventing future attacks. And a woman wanted in the policewoman's shooting is still afoot.

Meanwhile, a US terrorism investigator warns the immediate slamming of attackers will hinder the investigation into the recent terror attacks in France.

National Centre for the study of terrorism and responses to terrorism's Anthony Lemieux said, "What's interesting is that al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula were saying attack where you are and do what you can. So it's not surprising that it happened."

TARGETING JEWS

Coulibaly

also called BFM-TV to claim allegiance to Islamic State, saying he wanted to defend Palestinians and target Jews.

He said he had jointly planned the attacks with the Kouachi brothers, and police confirmed they were all members of the same Islamist cell in northern Paris.

Police had already been hunting the 32-year-old along with a 26-year-old woman after the killing on Thursday of a policewoman.

Paris chief prosecutor Francois Molins told a press briefing that the two Kouachi brothers and Coulibaly had an arsenal of weapons and had set up booby traps. He said they had a loaded M82 rocket launcher, two Kalashnikov machine guns and two automatic pistols on them.

"On the body of one of the terrorists, the demining teams also found a grenade that had been positioned as a trap," Molins said.

He said Coulibaly had attacked police forces with a Kalashnikov assault rifle and a "Skorpion" military pistol. After he was shot, police found two Russian-made Tokarev pistols, two machine guns, a bullet-proof vest and ammunition in the kosher supermarket.

"The supermarket had also been booby-trapped," he said, noting that Coulibaly had placed 15 explosive sticks and one detonator in the supermarket.

Altogether 17 victims have died along with the three hostage-takers since Wednesday.

France plans a unity rally on Sunday to protest against the attacks. Among those due to attend are German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Prime Ministers David Cameron of Britain, Matteo Renzi of Italy and Mariano Rajoy of Spain, and European Commission president Jean-Claude Juncker.

President Barack Obama also expressed US support. "I want the people of France to know that the United States stands with you today, stands with you tomorrow," he said.

World Jewish Congress President Ronald Lauder joined the condemnations, saying, "Jewish life in France under threat if terror does not stop".

French president Fran├žois Hollande has praised police but has noted continuing dangers for the country.

Additional reporting by Reuters.

Video: Charlie Hebdo terrorists killed.