Carl Pistorius to appear in court next month

Carl Pistorius will have to appear in court next month to be charged for reckless & negligent driving.

Carl Pistorius leaves the High Court in Pretoria after the reading of judgment in the Oscar Pistorius murder trial on 11 September 2014. Picture: Christa Eybers/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) says police will only take Carl Pistorius's fingerprints and formally charge him for reckless and negligent driving next month in the Modimolle Magistrates Court.

The NPA believes it now has sufficient evidence to prosecute Pistorius, following an accident on the N1 in Limpopo last year in which he was nearly killed.

He was travelling to Pretoria when a car allegedly swerved into oncoming traffic and caused the head-on collision following which Pistorius was hospitalised for several weeks.

Limpopo police say Pistorius was the only one who failed to submit a statement to the investigating officer, despite numerous requests.

The police's Ronel Otto says Pistorius did not cooperate.

"The investigating officer obtained the statements of other parties involved in the accident as well as a few witnesses, but despite several attempts he could not obtain the statement from Mr Pistorius. The docket was then sent to court, the prosecutor then instructed he should be charged."

The NPA's Nathi Ncube says, "They must serve him with a summons, and once he receives it, he will then have to appear in court on the date stipulated in the summons."

This is not the first time Carl has been in the spotlight for landing on the wrong side of the law.

In 2008, Carl was involved in a collision in which a motorcyclist died. He was charged with culpable homicide, but later acquitted.

Eyewitness News last year reported that he narrowly escaped prosecution after police discovered he'd allegedly tampered with his brother Oscar Pistorius's phone in the days after Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead.

It's understood investigators considered charging him with defeating the ends of justice, but ultimately declined to proceed with a case against him.

A study of the data extracted from Pistorius's personal phone, shows the entire call history and every WhatsApp message was deleted, as well as several messages sent to the device after the shooting.

The phone was only handed to the police a full 12 days after Steenkamp was killed.