Kaapse Klopse committee called to account for spending

The Cape Cultural & Carnival Committee has until March to account for the money spent on the parade.

FILE: The City of Cape Town says the Cape Cultural and Carnival Committee has until March to account for money spent on the embattled annual event. Picture: Aletta Gardner/EWN

CAPE TOWN - The City of Cape Town says the Cape Cultural and Carnival Committee has until March to account for money spent on the annual event.

The Tweede Nuwe Jaar parade is traditionally held on 2 January in Cape Town's CBD but last year it was put off to 3 January.

The committee then postponed the parade to 5 January as it coincided with a significant day on the Islamic calendar.

Now the event will be held on 17 January to ensure it will not coincide with the African National Congress (ANC's) 103 birthday celebrations that will run from 8 to 10 January.

The city says it's allocated more than R3.6 million towards the minstrel carnival with the provincial government making available an additional R2 million.

The city's Zara Nicholson says, "The committee must provide the city with accounts that detail expenditure and performance under this agreement and a full events report must be delivered to the city."

The committee's Richard Stemmet says they can account for all the funds spent so far.

"We will give a report for the money. Our councils will do the report and send it to them only for the money we received from them."

Stemmet says they're finalising their application to host the event next Saturday.

The parade's postponement has been marred by controversy with the ANC even accusing the Democratic Alliance (DA)-led city of " undermining" the party's birthday celebrations.