Cuburne van Wyk suspect to stand trial

Nathaniel Mpoku will appear in the South Gauteng High Court in April.

FILE: Three-year-old Cuburne van Wyk’s mother Lezell being comforted outside court following another postponement in his murder case. 17 December 2014. Picture: Thando Kubheka/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - A man accused of killing Reiger Park toddler Cuburne van Wyk will stand trial in the High Court in Johannesburg in April.

Nathaniel Mpoku allegedly kidnapped and killed the little boy in August last year.

His case was today referred to the high court after several delays during previous appearances.

Van Wyk's body was found on a mine dump soon after he went missing.

His family welcomed Monday's decision.

The boy's father says a conviction will bring relief to the family and the community.

The National Prosecuting Authority last year withdrew charges against a man accused of killing four-year-old Taegrin Morris, also from Reiger Park.

He died after being dragged behind the hijacked vehicle of his parents.

Charges were also dropped against a man accused of killing soccer star Senzo Meyiwa.

The NPA at the time said there was a lack of evidence against the suspect.