Gauteng road deaths at 137
Transport Minister Dipuo Peters is expected to give an update on the death toll later today.
JOHANNESBURG - At least 137 people have died on Gauteng roads so far this month, the Community Safety Department said on Monday.
The majority of fatalities are pedestrians.
Transport Minister Dipuo Peters last week revealed the death toll on South African roads had declined by 35 percent, compared to the same period last year.
She is expected to give an update later on Tuesday.
Gauteng Community Safety MEC Sizakele Nkosi-Malobane says efforts to bring the road death toll down seem to be working.
"It might go up but it will be better than last year. We think that not only the adverts but also the public education that we had in our communities contributed to the significant decrease in motor vehicle accidents."
Traffic authorities in Cape Town say drunk pedestrians on busy highways are a growing concern.
14 deaths were reported on Western Cape roads this past weekend.
Officials have identified a number of hotspots across the province in a bid to reduce road fatalities.
Following an increase in holiday visitors along the Garden Route, officials have been dispatched to popular tourist spots, including Wilderness, Mossel Bay and Hermanus.
Drunk pedestrians, fatigued drivers and speedsters were among the biggest culprits when it came to traffic offences, authorities confirmed.