Special team to investigate Kraaifontein 'body dump'
Six male victims with their hands and feet bound were found dumped in a Kraaifontein bush.
CAPE TOWN - Western Cape Police Chief Arno Lamoer says a special team has been set up to investigate the murders of six people.
The bodies were discovered in what appears to be a dumping site in a Kraaifontein bush.
A passerby alerted police after discovering the bodies in an open field on Wednesday.
The six victims, all of them males, had their hands and feet bound.
Lamoer says the deceased have not yet been identified.
"The people were stabbed and stoned to death. An initial investigation indicated where they were found was the crime scene. Our investigators worked late into the night to see what clues they could pick up."
Lamoer is also offering a R250,000 reward for any information which will lead to arrests.
He says the area is known to have a violent crime problem.
"Violent crime is a major problem in the broader Kraaifontein area. There are gang problems and also problems of drug addiction."
No arrests have been made at this stage.
Police detectives assisted by the K9 Unit combed the scene looking for clues to solve the murder mystery.
The victims are between the ages of 18 and 30 years old.
Residents who live at the farm overlooking the scene say this is not the first time they've found dead bodies at the same site.
The police's Thembinkosi Kenana says six murder cases have been opened for investigation.
Kenana says while the details surrounding the case are unclear, it appears the men had been stoned
It's not yet clear whether the men were killed at the scene of whether the bodies were dumped there.
Meanwhile, the Kraaifontein Community Policing Forum (CPF) says it's shocked following the discovery of the bodies.
The forum's Giovanni Pasqualli says he trusts police will make a breakthrough in their probe.
"The details around the incident are quite sketchy at this stage. The corpses still need to be identified, but from the CPF's side this is quite scary."