Balotelli charged by FA for social media post
Balotelli deleted an Instagram post which appeared to contain potentially racist and anti-Semitic references.
LONDON - Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli has been charged by the Football Association for a social media post, the FA said on Friday.
The Italian forward apologised on Tuesday for his Instagram post, subsequently deleted, which appeared to contain potentially racist and anti-Semitic references.
"It is alleged the Liverpool player breached FA Rule E3 in that his posting was abusive and/or insulting and/or improper," the FA said on their website.
"It is further alleged that this is an 'Aggravated Breach' as defined by FA Rule E3 as it included a reference to ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality and/or religion or belief."
Balotelli has until 15 December to respond to the charge.
The striker apologised for the post last week.
"I apologise if I've offended anyone," Balotelli said on Twitter.
"The post was meant to be anti-racist with humour. I now understand that out of context it may have the opposite effect."
Liverpool said they will speak to the striker who signed from AC Milan in August.
"We are aware of the posting which has since been promptly deleted by the player," a Liverpool spokesman told the BBC.
"We will be speaking to the player about the issue."