Portia Modise scoops Sports Star of the Year award
The Banyana Banyana player became the first African footballer to score 100 international goals.
JOHANNESBURG - It was a night of glitz and razzmatazz as the who's who of the South African sports fraternity descended on the South African Sport Awards held at the Sandton Convention Centre on Sunday.
Banyana Banyana's Portia Modise walked away with SA Sports Star of the Year, as voted by the public, while swimmer Chad Le Clos and cyclist Ashleigh Moolman Pasio were crowned Sportsman of the Year and Sportswoman of the Year.
Modise could barely contain her emotions after her name was mentioned.
The award was presented by Sports Minister, Fikile Mbalula and Bafana Bafana captain, Itumeleng Khune.
The soccer star recently became the first African footballer to score 100 international goals.
At the same time, Bafana Bafana coach Shakes Mashaba scooped Coach of the Year Award.
Mbalula says his department will continue to celebrate those who do well and represent the country with pride.
"I've never made an excuse for mediocrity. I will never shy away from pulling an extravaganza to celebrate those who emulate the winning spirit of South Africa.
"And today we have pulled out all the stops to do just that. Not just to celebrate these stars, but to encourage others to remain patriotic and represent this country."
Para-cyclist, Ernst Van Dyk was named Sportsman of the Year with Disability, while the Sportswoman of the Year with Disability went to hand-cyclist Justine Asher.
• Administrator of the Year - Nokuzola
• Sportsman of the Year - Chad Le Clos
• Sportsman of the Year with Disability - Ernst Francois Van Dyk
• Sportswoman of the Year - Ashleigh Moolman Pasio
• Sportswoman of the Year with Disability - Justine Asher
• Team of the Year - U/19 Cricket
• Newcomer of the Year - Gezelle Magermann
• Coach of the Year - Ephraim Shakes Mashaba
• Volunteer of the Year - Sandile Mqadi
• Indigenous Games of the Year - Ncuva Limpopo
• Recreation Body of the Year - Sport for Social Change Network
• Photographer of the Year - Reg Caldecott
• Journalist of the Year - Mathews Mpete
• School Team of the Year - Vorentoe High School
• Developing School Team of the Year - Oudtshoorn School of Skills
• Federation of the Year - Triathlon South Africa
• Lifetime Achievement Award - Andrew Mlangeni
• Lifetime Achievement Award - Senzo Meyiwa
• Lifetime Achievement Award - Marthinus Linee
• Lifetime Achievement Award - Mbulaeni Mulaudzi
• Lifetime Achievement Award - Phindile Mwelase