Cosatu: ANC intervention not at risk

Sidumo Dlamini also said the call for him to resign was made in the media and was illegitimate.

FILE: Cosatu president S'dumo Dlamini. Picture: Sapa

JOHANNESBURG - Congress of South African Trade Unions (Cosatu) President Sidumo Dlamini says the African National Congress (ANC)'s intervention to bring about unity is not at risk of collapse.

This despite seven affiliate unions refusing to participate in the process without the reversal of National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa (Numsa)'s expulsion.

The Numsa allies called for Dlamini to resign.

Dlamini says the majority of Cosatu's unions support the ANC intervention and disgruntled affiliates should stop talking to journalists and return to the formal process.

He says the ANC intervention remains in place.

"The majority of Cosatu unions support that process and they're moving along with the process. It's going to go ahead."

Earlier on Friday, Dlamini told Eyewitness News he had not received any request for his resignation from affiliates and it therefore was not up for consideration.

The call for Dlamini's head was made on Thursday.

The Cosatu president said the call for him to resign was made in the media and was illegitimate.

"Those fellows were saying that in the media. There is nothing that has been brought to Cosatu or myself. All we can say is that we're calling for all Cosatu unions to follow the political process that has been agreed to."

Numsa's expulsion could also go to court, if allies have their way.

Cosatu leaders were also accused using general secretary Zwelinzima Vavi to prevent Numsa's seven allies from abandoning the federation.

It was widely expected that Vavi would leave Cosatu with Numsa after its expulsion.

But at Cosatu's last meeting, disciplinary charges against him were not reinstated.

Numsa general secretary Irvin Jim says he believes Vavi is being spared the chop by rival factions in Cosatu because of the risk of a mass walkout.