Two FBI agents shot at house near Ferguson unrest

One agent was shot in the shoulder and the other was shot in the leg while assisting local police.

FILE: Police make an arrest as protests engulf Ferguson on 26 November, 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri. Picture: AFP.

FERGUSON - Two FBI agents were shot and wounded at a house in north St. Louis County early on Wednesday, though the incident was "not directly related" to racially charged unrest in and around nearby Ferguson, an agency spokeswoman said.

One agent was shot in the shoulder and the other was shot in the leg while assisting local police in executing an arrest warrant, FBI spokeswoman Rebecca Wu said in a brief statement. Their injuries were not life-threatening.

"The incident is not directly related to the Ferguson protests," Wu said, but did not elaborate further.

Some 2,000 National Guard troops helped ward off a second night of rampant arson and looting in suburban St. Louis after a grand jury declined to indict a white policeman in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black teenager, and sympathy protests spread to several US cities.

The Wednesday morning incident involving the FBI agents followed hours after a clash between police and protesters in Ferguson.

Despite a beefed-up military presence in Ferguson, a police car was torched near City Hall as darkness fell, and police fired smoke bombs and tear gas to scatter protesters.


Cities across the US erupted in more protests over a decision not to charge a police officer in the death of Michael Brown.

The anger and frustration felt in Ferguson, where 2,000 National Guard troops have been deployed, has spread, inflaming racial tensions.

Protests were also held in other major US cities, from New York to Los Angeles, Atlanta, Baltimore, Chicago, Minneapolis, Philadelphia and Washington.

Thousands of people took to the streets of New York City, spilling out onto the FDR, a major highway.

Cars stopped, some even hooted in irritation for the traffic jam, but some hooted in support of the chants.

Police used pepper spray to control the crowd after protesters tried to block the Lincoln Tunnel and marched to Times Square.

In St. Louis, about 1,000 demonstrators gathered outside a federal courthouse blocking a road and chanting, "This is what democracy looks like."