Cops hit dead-end in Senzo Meyiwa & Taegrin Morris cases

Gauteng police have confirmed to EWN they've reached a dead-end in both high-profile murder cases.

Gauteng police have confirmed to EWN they've reached a dead-end in both high-profile murder cases of Senzo Meyiwa and Taegrin Morris. Picture: Official Senzo Meyiwa Facebook page.

JOHANNESBURG - Gauteng police have confirmed to Eyewitness News that two of the province's most high-profile murder cases have hit a dead-end and they will now rely on information from the public for any breakthroughs.

After arresting suspects in both the murders of Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa and Reiger Park toddler Taegrin Morris, police released the men because it emerged there was not enough evidence to secure convictions.

It's been exactly one month since Meyiwa was shot dead while visiting his girlfriend Kelly Khumalo in Vosloorus.

At least two suspects are believed to have been involved in the crime.

The murders of the Bafana captain and four-year-old Morris shocked South Africa and spurned commitments of swift responses from authorities.

When police arrested a man believed to have been linked to Meyiwa's murder, his family, friends and South Africans felt one step closer to justice.

Until the case against the suspect fell apart.

Now the police's Neville Malila says the trail has gone cold.

"We don't at this stage have a specific individual. We've issued identikits of possible suspects, but at this stage we don't have any information that can lead us to a specific individual to make those arrests."

Malila says they're in no better position now than they were before the arrests.

"The investigations are continuing. We haven't managed to make any arrests in both those cases."

Malila has called on the community to assist detectives in order to make a breakthrough in each case.

The police have also confirmed its investigation into the murder of little Taegrin has also hit a dead-end.

The National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) withdrew charges against Thamsanqa Twala after he was arrested for the murder of the four-year-old boy in Reiger Park in July.

Taegrin was dragged to his death by his mother's hijacked vehicle.


Last week, a prosecutor in the Boksburg Magistrates Court told media that police didn't do a great job in their investigation, but Gauteng Police Commissioner Lesetja Mothiba said the prosecutor should go to Reiger Park himself and explain to the community why the charges were dropped.

The NPA's Nathi Mncube responded by saying that police succumb to the pressure of having to arrest someone, because of how big and highly publicised a criminal case is, but they will not allow themselves to fall victim to the same pressure.

Mncube said if the case against Twala was not dropped, due to a lack of evidence, it could have amounted to a "malicious prosecution".

The NPA maintains the identity parade that was held was not reliable and could not have led to a successful prosecution.

But the police's Malila hit back at the time saying, "It was presented to the prosecution authority and they decided we can place the matter on the court role."