Post Office urges all workers to return to work

With an agreement finally being struck, the Post Office says it's operating at 90 percent capacity.

With an agreement finally being struck, the Post Office says it's operating at 90 percent capacity. Picture: Facebook.com

JOHANNESBURG - The South African Post Office (Sapo) says it hopes to have a clearer picture today of how many workers have returned to duty, following the end of a crippling four-month strike.

With an agreement finally being struck, the organisation on Monday said it was operating at 90 percent capacity.

At the same time, a Parliamentary Committee has visited post office operations in Pretoria.

The Post Office's Lungile Lose says of around 17,000 workers, less than 300 appear to be staying away from work.

He says a more comprehensive picture should emerge today after a full day of shifts and those who refuse to return will face being fired.

"A decision has to be taken for the benefit of the organisation, for the benefit of the customer. While the door is open for the other union members to return them to work, that door is not open forever.

"We will start with the dismissal procedure from today onwards for those who don't heed the call to come back to work."

Lose says they're working to clear the back log and will be able to handle the festive season rush.

Last week, the state owned enterprise's latest financial statement indicated a net loss of R359 million.