Zamokuhle Mbatha considers legal action against police

All charges against Mbatha in connection with Senzo Meyiwa’s murder were withdrawn last week.

Zanokuhle Mbatha's family members are angered by the media asking them questions outside the Boksburg Magistrate Court, Tuesday 11 November 2014. Picture: Vumani Mkhize/EWN.

JOHANNESBURG - A representative of the man previously accused of killing soccer star Senzo Meyiwa says he will meet with his lawyer this week, to consider whether he should take action against the police.

Almost week ago all charges against Zamokuhle Mbatha were withdrawn in the Boksburg Magistrate's Court, due to a lack of evidence.

But the police say they still see Mbatha as a suspect and he could be rearrested if they find more evidence.

Senzo Meyiwa was shot dead during an armed robbery in Vosloorus last month, at the family home of his girlfriend, Kelly Khumalo.

The Mbatha family's representative Sebelo Nyawo says, "The lawyer has given his advice in terms of what the next course of action should be. He is waiting for the family to give instructions. At this stage I don't want to divulge that information."

WATCH: Tempers flare as charges withdrawn against Meyiwa suspect

Meanwhile, police working on the murder case on Friday said they would not apologise to Mbatha.

While charges were provisionally withdrawn, Mbatha's family is demanding an apology, saying he will be victimised by the community.

Head of the investigating team, Vinesh Moonoo said he sees nothing wrong at this stage with how they handled Mbatha's arrest.

"We still believe from the statements received from the witness that he is involved. So I can't apologise for something that I did not do wrong."

Mbatha is now in KwaZulu-Natal, fearing for his life, and refuses to return to his house in Vosloorus.