Uitsig residents contest bail for murder suspects

17-year-old Justin Langley was beaten & hacked to death, allegedly by a group of six suspects at the weekend.

Community members came out in numbers chanting "No bail" out side court where killers of Justin Langley appeared in court on 11 November 2014. Picture: Lauren Isaacs/EWN.

CAPE TOWN - The Uitsig community has drawn up a petition to contest the bail application of six suspects accused of murdering 17-year-old Justin Langley.

Langley was beaten and hacked to death at the weekend after he confronted a group of men whom he accused of attacking a relative.

The six suspects, which include two minors, made their first appearance in the Goodwood Magistrates Court on Tuesday.

Uitsig community leader, Adam Alexander, says they've collected more than 700 signatures so far.

He says the community is praying the imminent bail application will be unsuccessful.

Alexander was one of about 40 Uitsig residents who gathered outside court on Tuesday to vent their anger over Langley's murder.

"We, as a community cannot live a normal life anymore due to the behaviour of these gangsters."

The case against the six accused has been postponed to next Tuesday.