Meyiwa case: Police visit Mbatha's home

Two men in plain clothes, who identified themselves as police officers, went to Mbatha’s house this morning.

Bafana Bafana & Orlando Pirates captain Senzo Meyiwa was shot dead on 26 October 2014. Picture: Official Senzo Meyiwa Facebook page.

JOHANNESBURG - Eyewitness News understands the police have returned to Zamokuhle Mbatha's house in Vosloorus, close to where soccer star Senzo Meyiwa was shot dead last month.

The Bafana Bafana and Orlando Pirates captain was shot and killed on 26 October while visiting his girlfriend Kelly Khumalo in Vosloorus, sparking the massive manhunt which led police to Mbatha.

The 25-year-old was identified by two separate witnesses and charged with murder and robbery a week-and-a-half ago.

Yesterday, the state withdrew murder and robbery charges against him in the Boksburg Magistrates Court.

Magistrate Daniel Thulare said there was not enough evidence to try him.

The National Prosecuting Authority also said it had found inconsistencies in evidence police had gathered.

Video: Tempers flare as charges against Mbatha are withdrawn.

However, police say they are continuing their investigation and he may be re-arrested.

EWN has been informed that two men in plain clothes, who identified themselves as police officers, arrived at the 25-year-old's house this morning.

They were carrying one of the two cellphones confiscated soon after Mbatha's arrest last month.

They apparently wanted to allocate the pin number of one of the cellphones belonging to Mbatha's girlfriend.

The woman, who refuses to be identified, says the officers refused to give an further information.

At the same time, Mbatha has gone into hiding in KwaZulu-Natal fearing for his life as he was identified in the media.

The family has been instructed to remain silent about his whereabouts.

There is no official confirmation yet whether he will be suing the police for wrongful arrest.

Meyiwa was laid to rest on 1 November at the Heroes Acre Cemetery in Chesterville, KwaZulu-Natal.

Flags flew at half-mast as thousands bid the Pirates goalkeeper farewell at the Moses Mabhida Stadium.

People from across the football fraternity, politicians and various dignitaries attended the funeral.